The old church in Gällivare is one of the finest and oldest preserved buildings and was built by Hans Biskop during the years 1746 – 1753. The church has many names and is commonly called “the Lapp church” because it was built for the Sami people. Nowadays the correct term for the native people of northern Sweden is the Sami people and the word “Lapp” is considered condescending. The church is also called “Ettöres church” because the municipality’s inhabitants donated a penny per household each year, to finance the church building. The church is located at the edge of the Vassara River.
Gällivare’s Old Church
Visiting address: Industrigatan 4, 982 31 Gällivare
Photo by Daniel Olausson