How do you move a whole town? At the end of the 19th century, this area had grown into what was called “The Klondyke of Sweden”, and pretty soon it was discovered that the newly built town of Malmberget was standing on the unstable ground because of the intense mining for iron ore. Since then Malmberget has constantly been changing as new ore is found, until 2004, when a final decision was made. The whole town had to go!
Join me on a guided ride through the remnants of what was once a flourishing mining community and into the future. With historic buildings being moved and whole new neighborhoods being created.
- Meeting point: Gällivare Tourist Center (train station) or at an agreed location
- Price: 450 SEK/person, 50% discount for children up to 12 years
*The price includes guided tour with personal guide and transportation
- Participants: 2-4 persons
- Length: about 2 to 2.5 hours
- Important information: the guided tour is only on request, contact the company in advance for more information.
Photo Yngve Johansson